Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Friday, May 29, 2009

a city girl's thoughts on Alaska

Alaska.... I must be crazy. I moved here in July of 2008. What was I thinking? I had never imagined myself in a place this far from civilization. I pondered the idea for a while and came to the conclusion I could do anything for one year. 365 days, 12 months....no problem!  Well my year is almost up and after lots of prayers I am staying for at least another year. We will decide the next year when the time comes. 

So what is Alaska like you may wonder. Well it is absolutely beautiful! I am amazed every day by something I see. For example, I was driving home the other day and the way the clouds were surrounding the mountains were breath-taking. I actually pulled the car over and sat there just looking at it. I'm sure the other cars thought I was probably insane! It's not only the scenery, but the hiking, fishing, camping, canoeing, kayaking, animal watching that is truly amazing. I am a true city girly girl and I am learning that I love Alaska!

Alaska does take some getting used to. Coming from the Twin Cities and moving to Wasilla, AK where the nearest actual city is Anchorage (an hour away) is a culture shock. It is safe to say that life here in Alaska is behind 2-5 years. I was walking through the store the other day and saw a pair of shoes I bought in MN 2 years ago on the rack. Craziness I tell you. There is limited entertainment depending on what you like to do. I miss the options of live music. It's there, but it's not what you may say current music or the most popular. There are the usual movie theaters, bowling, movie nights at someone's house, etc. But it just doesn't beat the clubs, restaurants, the CULTURE of a big city. I am going through with-drawl!


No comments:

Post a Comment