Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, November 22, 2010

Baptisms For The Dead

For about five months I have been researching my ancestors on my Grandma Ramos' side of the family and have found about 6 generations of grandparents. Its been really interesting and really exciting. As I reflect on my family, I am compelled to tell you about my recent experience at the Temple while performing Baptisms. Some of you may be wondering what in the world I am talking about so I'll explain it to you.

Jesus Christ taught that baptism is essential to the salvation of all who have lived on earth (see John 3:5). Many people, however, have died without being baptized. Others were baptized without proper authority. Because God is merciful, He has prepared a way for all people to receive the blessings of baptism. By performing proxy baptisms in behalf of those who have died, Church members offer these blessings to deceased ancestors. Individuals can then choose to accept or reject what has been done in their behalf.
~LDS.ORG (Baptisms for the Dead)

I knew we had a Baptism night coming up so I prepared all necessary dates and paperwork to have my ancestors done that I have found. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do, and I decided that I wanted my good friend Tony to stand as proxy for the male names and I would do the female names myself.

This particular evening I had a different mindset though. Many times during these baptisms it seems like we just rush through them, we don't take the time to fully think, pray and serve these individuals for whom we are doing the work for. As I was preparing for this evening, I vowed I would prayer specifically for these individuals, really think about the ordinances and listen to the Spirit as the ordinances were being performed.

I was baptized first for my four female names, and then Tony was baptized for the nine male names. Needless to say I was shivering and shaking, since I was sopping wet, for the confirmations of my names and then for the baptism and confirmation of the male names. I was COLD! However, during the confirmations a peaceful, beautiful feeling came over me. I stopped shaking, I was no longer cold and I had an overwhelming feeling of Joy and Peace for four of the names. Those four names still stand out in my mind like a flashing billboard. As I thought about those names and those specific ancestors tears of joy came to me. Three of the four names were familiar, but the fourth more so then the rest.

The first name was Felipe Ramos. He was born May 26, 1923 and died September 15, 2007. He lived in El Paso, Texas and was the most amazing man. He served proudly in the Military, was a loving husband, father and grandfather, MY GRANDFATHER!

The other three names were those of my great grandmother, Felicitas Araiza, born June 11, 1911 and passed away January 27, 1963. She was the loving mother of my grandma! Next was Pedro Reyes, the husband of Felicitas. Born June 29, 1906 and passed away August 4, 1967. The fourth name was that of  Jose Ines Vela, the grandfather of Felicitas Araiza, born around the 1860's.

I felt that these four individual were happy, sending their love and their gratitude to me during these baptisms and confirmations. The Spirit was stronger than that I've ever felt it during a session before. I can testify that those who have passed through the vail before us are grateful for the work we are doing for them. I can also say I look forward to going back and completing the rest of their work as soon as possible!

As President Thomas S. Monson said, "What a privilege it is to be able to go to the temple, where we may experience the sanctifying influence of the Holy Spirit".

No comments:

Post a Comment