Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, November 8, 2010

Choose Your Own Adventure

Do you remember the days of Choose Your Own Adventure books? For those of you not familiar with them, each story is written from a second-person narrative. The reader assumes the role of the protagonist and makes choice that determines their characters actions in response to the plot and outcomes.

The reader is introduced to the story and is then asked to determine their next course of action. Depending on their decision they are told to turn to a specific page. After the reader makes a choice, the plot branches out and unfolds, leading to more decisions and eventually multiple possible endings.  According to Wikipedia a few of the possibilities for endings include:

  • At least one ending depicting a highly desired resolution, often involving uncovering a handsome monetary reward.
  • Endings that result in the death of the protagonist, companions of the main character or both, or other very negative endings, because of a fatal choice of the reader, or sometimes transformation of the main characters into a non-human form and being permanently stuck in the transformed state. 
  • Other ending that may be either satisfactory (but not the most desired ending) or unsatisfactory (but not totally bad).
  • Occasionally a particular set of choices will throw the reader into a loop where they repeatedly reach the same page (often with a reference to the situation being familiar). At this point the reader's only option is to restart the adventure.


The reason I mention these books is I sometimes find myself thinking I am living in my very own Choose Your Own Adventure book. One made specifically for me. Its true and accurate in a way. There is a plan established by Heavenly Father. There are things I've been foreordained to do. However, as I make certain choices I wonder if that's the right choice, if its leading me to the right ending. Sometimes I think it would be so much easier if I had a cheat sheet, if I knew all the right choices, if I knew the outcome before I made the decision.

I love my life. I love the path I'm on. As hard and difficult as it has been the last 5 years, I know there are things that I've had to learn for a specific reason. People have come into my life and I have to stop and think and ask myself why have you met this person? What are you supposed to learn from them or what are they supposed to learn from you. This question or thought has been on my mind A LOT lately. I've met a few people in the past few months that have really caused me to think, to evaluate who I am, what I'm doing and why I'm here. I'm grateful for these people because they are ensuring I choose the correct adventure in my book called Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment